When hiring a plumber or gas fitter for a service, it is important to make sure that the professional you’re hiring is licensed. This will ensure that you will receive high-quality service that complies with all the relevant standards, laws, and regulations. More importantly, hiring a licensed plumber and gas fitter also gives you the peace of mind that pipes, fittings, and equipment are installed and connected in the correct legal manner. There is a 6 year warranty on all plumbing work.
Plumbing and gas fitting services deal with crucial processes and systems that may affect the safety of your property. Thus, plumbers and gas fitters must have the appropriate knowledge, experience, and tools and equipment to be able to correctly diagnose problems and resolve them efficiently.
The Plumbers Licensing Board issues plumbing contractor and tradesperson licences to qualified applicants. At Link Plumbing and Gas Service, we have plumbers who have a plumbing contractor’s licence and a tradesperson’s licence.
The Plumbers Licensing Board issues six different types of plumbers licences. All plumbing licence holders are authorised to do plumbing work, but the scope of the authorised work is different for each licence.
- Plumbing contractor’s licence – Allows a plumber to work on water supply plumbing, sanitary plumbing, and drainage plumbing. A plumbing contractor is required to complete higher qualifications than a tradesperson.
- Tradesperson’s licence – Holders of this licence have completed training and obtained qualifications in plumbing. This type of licence allows a plumber to work under the general direction of a plumbing contractor on water supply plumbing, sanitary, and drainage plumbing.
- Tradesperson’s licence (drainage plumbing) – For tradespersons who have completed training and have qualifications in drainage plumbing and works as a drainage plumber supervised by a plumbing contractor.
- Provisional tradesperson’s licence – For those who have qualifications or competencies in plumbing obtained outside of Australia and intend to obtain a WA plumbing qualification and apply for a tradesperson’s licence.
- Provisional tradesperson’s licence (drainage plumbing) – For those who have qualifications or competencies in drainage plumbing acquired outside of Australia and intend to obtain a WA plumbing qualification and apple for a tradesperson’s licence for drainage plumbing.
- Restricted plumbing permit -For licensed electricians and gas fitters performing water heater replacements while doing electrical or gas fitting work.
All plumbing contractors and tradespersons carry a plumbing permit, plus a gas fitting licence and permit for gas fitting work.
Gas fitting licence
In WA, the Gas Standards Act 1972 and the Gas Standards (Gas Fitting and Consumer Gas Installations) Regulations 1999 provide that gas fitting work on a consumer’s gas installation may only be carried out by a person with the appropriate gas fitter’s licence.
The Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety issues four types of gas fitting licence.
- Class G – Covers all gas fitting work except those classified as Class I, E, or P. General gas fitting and installation and servicing of domestic, commercial, caravan, and marine craft installations.
- Class I – Covers consumer’s gas installation associated with a Type B appliance or on piping that has an operating pressure of over 200kPa.
- Class E – Covers work associated with a mobile engine.
- Class P – Gas installation associated with the storage and dispensing of gas for the refuelling of a motor vehicle.
When performing work on gas appliances, Notice of Completions are submitted to EnergySafety, the technical and safety regulator for the electrical industry and most of the gas industry in WA.
How to check if a plumber or gas fitter is licensed
When enlisting the services of a plumber or gas fitter, ask to see their licence. Note that all WA gas fitters carry a gas fitting permit, which is generally a yellow plastic card. Get their licence number and do an online licence search to make sure they are legally qualified.
To remove all doubt, contact Link Plumbing and Gas Service. All our plumbers and gas fitters are fully qualified and happy to assist you with your plumbing and gas needs. Call us today on 6252 0326.